Saturday, August 6, 2011

Life as a conventional structure

At this point in your life, you start thinking about settling down or even already settled down or you are asked about settling down. For most of us, the pattern of life follows:
1. you were born
2. go to school at 5
3. go to college in 18ish
4. start a career in mid 20s
5. get married in late 20s
6.raise a family in 30s
7.change a career or/and get a divorce in 40s or 50s
8.try to find a new purpose in life after sending your kids off to college in 50s
9.start planning for your exit in 60s/70s
10. follow the inevitable destiny - death in 70s and after

My parents have been asking me about where I'm going to settle down and whom my life partner will be.
The ideal life for me will be moving around place to place. That way, I get to know many places and many people and learn different ways of lives in all those different places. The world is so big and has so many things for one person to discover and learn about. I don't want to limit myself in one place. Maybe it's unrealistic...
The term "life partner" kind of scares me somehow. Since teenage, I have had this fear that my life won't be flexible and free if I'm tied with someone or with a family. It'd be irresponsible to enjoy all the freedom while you have someone or a family to take care of. Or it could be different if I find the right person and managed to have an unconventional family.

I know I chose one of the most inflexible career of becoming an accountant. I'm still loving my pursuit as I love numbers and how these numbers tell stories about all these businesses. A lot of things make more sense to me in quantitative terms.

So I asked myself why we need to settle down?
I think one great answer should have been that I have discovered all my options and possibilities within my intellectual and physical capacities and I have found ONE thing I absolutely love doing it in ONE particular place for the rest of my life.

But what if you see life as an adventurous journey with a series of temporary goals which you seek to achieve one after another and experience all the challenges while trying to achieve your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment