Monday, August 22, 2011

Alternative life styles

My friend, A and I had this interesting conversation about friendship and different life styles while walking on the beach yesterday. She told me that someone she knows is considering to raise a family together with her female best friend. I don't know how that woman got that idea from. It sounds amazing to me! A was pretty enthusiastic about the idea and she even told me 'even you and I could do something like that! We could be dating other men time to time but we adopt kids and raise them together!' :) Because she knows that I'm not too big on the idea of settling down with a man and raising a family.

I think most of the time, a lot of women seem to have fixed life plans and goals about getting married and raising families at specific age. A lot of them have this fear " OMG, my clock is ticking!" So they marry the next guy who propose them. For some people, the plans might work out when they get lucky. Although I'm mostly optimist, this is one thing I'm always skeptical of. I think it's just too risky for your lifetime happiness. When the plans didn't work out because you married a fantasy, you are pretty screwed and stuck with lifetime unhappiness. A divorce must be such a nightmare too.

I understand that it's women's biological nature to take of children and raise a family. But they would save a lot of heartache, unnecessary emotional burden and possible lifetime unhappiness if they are more open minded about their options. Instead of putting so much pressure on yourself about settling down and raising a conventional family, why can you not raise a family together with your best friend if he/she also wants the exact same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment