Friday, December 16, 2011

Real True Friendships beyond cultural boundries


One of the many things I love about life is a beautiful friendship. Ever since I was a little girl, friends have been really important part of my life. I worship Friendship and it's my religion. But I was never really lucky with finding real true friends back in my own country. It was ALL about competition who got the No #1 prize at school. The school system over there gives top 10 students of the whole school prizes with an annual ceremony.

Well another chapter of my life, I came to U.S. for college. I found so many amazing people from all over the world. We did have cultural differences and language barriers but the friendship went beyond all those. And I met my BEST friend in my junior year. I would never thought we would be besties. He was annoyingly good looking, funny and smart but just wanted to hook up with every moving thing on campus. ( hehe RT, sorry for my awesome commercial about you!) I was too tiny to get his attention when we first met.

We became friends because he had to wait for me when we all had lunch together. I'm always a slow eater. Everyone left the table and I would still be chewing :) But within very short period, we became VERY CLOSE friends. We hanged out EVERY SINGLE DAY. He knocked my dorm room every afternoon after he finished studying. We'd be just laughing for HOURS in my room. ( some of my neighbors thought that we were having sex. :) ) And he wasn't just a fair-weather friend. Although I am almost always happy, I do have my down time. He WAS there for my down time. Well the only sad thing was that he was there only for a semester. I didn't think that our friendship would continue when we are apart. People get out of touch and it's normal. But we have been in touch ALL ALONG. Our friendship is REALLY true and real. We live across the continents - he lives in Brazil. All these years, we only reunited this summer for once. It was really like seeing a family. We were both SO HAPPY.

And a year ago or so, I met this really super awesome girl, AS, at work. I'd never thought she'd be my real friend either :) We had some train rides together and once she said ''I LOVE being single." I've never seen another female creature who's so happy being single. She is also from another continent of the world but the great thing is that she's still around. I think this will be also a lifetime friendship. And luckily, for the time being, we both love New York so much. We have great appetite for life and very similar ideals about love and friendship. Most important thing is that we have mutual trust in our friendship - even after we've gone thru unintentional hurtful things we said/did to each other, we'd always know that we are in the same side and want the best for each other.

It was kind of almost SO HARD to believe for me and trust in our friendship because in my experience with female friends back home, there are only two kinds of friends.
1. competitive friends ( who want to be close b/c you are the enemy in fact.)
2. butterfly friends ( who only want to be friends when they are single.)
I got hurt so many times. So becoming closer and closer with AS made me nervous many times. But now I've passed all those. I think she is my very FIRST closest female friend. We already said I LOVE you to each other and we mean it. :) VERY BEAUTIFUL thing.......

No comments:

Post a Comment