Monday, December 12, 2011

Friends with Ex?

When someone said “I love you’’, have you ever said ‘please don’t’? For Burmese people and most people here, once you broke up with your boyfriend or girlfriend, you just cut out all the communications.

When I broke up with my 3 years boyfriend, I wanted to end it in very good terms. I wanted to be friends with him although I was really unhappy as his girlfriend. But the same time, I didn’t want him to be attached to me and didn't want to give him false hopes. He is really a great guy, the most intelligent and well-read guy I’ve ever known for his age. He’s a Princeton alum. Then, I started seeing someone just right before we broke up ( yeah I’m bad.)

Although I broke up with him, it was unbearable to see him in full of pain. So I sort of ended up continue seeing him while also seeing the new guy. I thought he would gradually get over me. And I was taking advantage of freedom of single life.

We broke up 2 years ago but my ex never really disappeared from my life. Some times, I did try to cut contact because I didn’t want him to be attached to me and not move on. Now that I think he’s very assured that I’ll never go back to him, I decided to be friends with him again. But whenever we hang out, he still treats me like we are still together and tells me he loves me. I told him ‘please don’t’.

It sounds awful but friendship is my religion and I really don’t want to abandon him from my life. I don’t have any romantic feelings and will never have them for sure. But our intellectual connection is really strong. I know that I don’t need him but I also don’t think I need to abandon him….

Now I wonder if this makes me afraid or wary of serious dating. I do have crushes on people every now and then. But I never want to date anyone seriously since after that serious relationship......

No comments:

Post a Comment