Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Importance of Healthy Mind


Most of us live in a life full of pressure, multiple deadlines, hassles and frustrations. I did mention before how I love living under pressure and living on the edge. But when your mind is constantly in an emergency mood, it reaches close to its limits and has to pay the price. Constantly stressful and exhausted mind can no longer help you perform under pressure and motivate you.

I've been exploiting both my body and mind so much. I do a zillion of things each week:
1. work that takes more than 50% of my energy as solving problems constantly while juggling to meet deadlines.
2. school - 2 or 3 assignments due each week, reading, group projects, research, news
3. job hunt - not much done lately
4.socializing - I do go out a lot- seeing friends, meeting new people etc. there are ALWAYS full of events and invites!
5. blogging - I love writing. So what can I do? Only less than half I wrote were posted on my blog:)
6. And lots of other non-productive activities - browsing internet, looking up news, facebook, emails, texting, eating, sleeping, thinking :)
7. swimming & running
8. other small personal errands

With all these things non-stop going on, before I noticed my stressful mind, I first noticed my MESSY room. It was awful just to even step into my room. All my clothes kept piling up on my bed. Lots of things were spread on my desk, chair, fridge, table. A lot of shoes, some boxes and trash were on the floor. Uncleaned dishes were also kept in the room and my mini-fridge. My washed clothes were still in laundry basket that no where to keep my unwashed clothes.
It was so OVERWHELMING just to think about cleaning that room. But I finally managed to pull myself together to clean the room.

Then I realized how all these so many things piled up in my mind and found myself very overwhelmed. Besides those regular things, I've got many more things came in my way- booking a trip home, registration for next semester, preparation for traveling, visa, gift shopping etc.

My mind started saying NO to everything I command. I need to study, read, think but the mind just stops working. I don't find myself very energetic, excited and hyper as I usually am. I suspect it is going to take a lot more than cleaning my room.

But I have a plan.
#1. Sleep
2. start working little by little on my very long to-do list

I think as in physical health, you don't value how important it is to have a healthy mind. I think it is very important to treat your mind very well as much as you treat your body. Everything has a limit it can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment