Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Can We Ever Be Enough?

I have seen fair amounts of parents-children relationship here in the U.S. and western culture, and also heard about it from my friends. They have so much freedom compared to how we grew up. The parents here just want their children to be happy so they have a lot less interference with their children life.

I had to fight so hard for what I wanted for things that are most simple matters for the kids here and my non-Asian friends. My parents are quite flexible and understanding compared to other Burmese parents. However, still, I had so many battles and arguments with them all my life.

I'm fine with fighting hard for what I want to the extent that makes me stronger and grow mature. However, when it gets to a point that I have to fight for their acceptance and respect for who I am, it gets really frustrating and makes me sad and angry.

Also, the parents never seem to be satisfied with you. I understand that they want the best for you. Sometimes, it is a great force for us to become better persons. But, when you want to share the moments of happiness from the success and accomplishments, those moments seem to be rare.

My ex-boyfriend got accepted by all the schools he applied except Harvard. He went to Princeton. His parents complained:
Why did you not get into Harvard?

My brother is a great son for my parents. He pretty much did fulfill a lot of their wishes that I didn't fulfill. I did not go to the medical school I got accepted because I wanted to come to the U.S. but my brother did. He lives with my parents while I live across the world. Now my brother is going to marry this girl he's in love with. They complained:
 Why do you not marry a doctor? or a very pretty girl?


To me, they said " you always do everything you want against us. We are asking ONLY ONE thing. You must marry a Burmese man unless you want to see us unhappy and die sooner."
If I do marry a Burmese guy, they'll probably say "Why is he not a doctor?"

My ex wasn't so happy getting into Princeton because his parents didn't share his success.
My little brother is also upset that our parents do not share his happiness for finding the one to spend his life with.
I'm also so scared to fall in love with someone who is not Burmese.

No matter how strong I am and believe in myself, my parents' acceptance, respect and happiness are still so important to me. I just hope I can find a way to make them happy about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment