Friday, September 23, 2011

Women's career choices and their impact

I often wonder why a lot of women went to Ivy league and other top schools, are very capable and well accomplished, and later happily gave up their careers or are willing to give up when they decided to raise a family. I don't have any problem with their choices but some of them already knew that all they want in life is having a family and raising children and still went thru all the normal life process of going to college, getting a career and all that.

I'm an economist so I am always concerned about how well resources are being utilized to gain the maximum efficiency. :) In U.S, going to a top college/university is quite expensive- someone has to pay that cost ( your parents, the school itself, government or/and other organizations). All these people and society invest in you - whether they expect you or not, I think it is fair for you to give something back to your community and society utilizing that education, knowledge and experience. I often feel that it's so wasteful for the society that those capable women are staying home and raising children.

Most importantly, those top institutions are highly selective and when they select a portion of those candidates who are going to be just stay-at-home moms one day, they miss to give the opportunities to others who are highly devoted to make a difference in the world. While I'm thinking about this, I came across this old article in NY Times about women setting career path to motherhood. The thing is that I respect very much of people's freedom of choice as long as their choice does not hurt other people. In this case, I think it does hurt other people because of the above reason - taking away opportunities from some other people.

The article said admissions officers are not likely to ask applicants whether they plan to become stay-at-home moms. But I think they really should. That way they will fully maximize society's best interests and save some resources from being wasted.

2 comments:

  1. My brother's comments: ( he doesn't have access to blogspot at home.)

    First, not all candidates have decided to go college to become stay-at-home moms. People change.
    Second, raising children is the best investment
    Third, the more the mothers educate, the more they efficient in providing human resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected these arguments. I know ppl change but if they know they just want to become stay-at-home moms, they shouldn't take away the opportunities of other ppl who really want to make a difference in the world.

    I don't underestimate motherhood but no one needs an ivy league education to become a great mother.

    Raising children is great investment but it's narrow in scope. someone who gets an opportunity to go to an ivy league and who is also very dedicated to make a difference in the world has potentially much greater impact on society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete