Friday, September 16, 2011

The Idea of "FOREVER"

Last weekend, I asked my mom the same question I asked her over 10 years ago - "Don't you ever get tired of being with the same person for more than 30 years?" She just laughed at me because she thinks I'm crazy to think that way. I asked because I got tired of being with the same person after 'three' years.

My friend, J, always accuses me that I'm afraid of commitment. But he, who is apparently all about commitment and serious relationship, got baffled when his gf asked him to move in. In my case, it's not the fear of commitment; it's rather dislike of boredom, distrust in fantasy-like romance and love of freedom.

During my senior year in college, I met this most intelligent and knowledgeable man I've ever known for his age. I thought I fell in love with him and we became a couple almost instantly. He was my human-wikipedia and he gave me lots of freedom! With everything else in my life, I got tired after all the new things had gone in our relationship. I became concerned that ''Is it gonna be forever?" Then I started looking for the exit.

All my close friends and family concluded that it is because I was not in love. But this 'falling in love' business seems so vague and fantasy-like. I just think most people love themselves and want the other person to fulfill their need for security, emotional support and companionship. Then they just accept whatever that is and stick with it forever. Consequently, I think it is a possible misery forever!

For me, I am almost always happy and feel pretty fulfilled with my life. I don't need external support to feel happy. However, on the other hand, the idealist version of me believes that there could be this one or more persons ( depending on your chances of meeting people) can ADD a lot to your life in so many ways. Without making a lot of efforts, that person(s) understands you and your values, respects you and has faith in you as the best person you can be, and is attracted to you intellectually, emotionally and physically. This is more like the best friend with physical attraction.

That's why I think the only way you can be completely happy "forever'' and not get tired after a few years is when you are in love with your best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment