Sunday, September 30, 2012

"ONE" True Love?

I haven't seen movies for quite a long time. I got rid of my TV because NY has occupied me so much more than anything else. Finally, I wanted to see a 'good' romantic movie but also wanted to make sure it's not same cliche that I've seen it several times. I did my research and came across "Before Sunrise''. I love it!

Before Sunrise

The movie itself doesn't have much of a story. It portrays the two strangers randomly met on the train in Europe while traveling, and the one night they spent together in Vienna. So, they both consider this is probably only one time they would be together so they are completely in the moment and honest in their interactions with each other. They talk about their beliefs and doubts in life and love, their childhood experience etc.

What I really like is how it seems to be quite realistic in portraying the connection of the two people. It's not like ''they just fall in love at first sight and be all over each other and spend the most amazing romantic time together in Vienna''. It shows the development of their connection gradually through their conversations.



Before Sunset

I didn't expect much from the sequel because the sequel normally sucks. But it turned out to be pretty good. Nine years later, they met again in Paris. It shows how their views about life and love matured with time.  It's quite amazing that they are still the same persons but they seem to become more practical not so fanciful and hopeful about life 9 years ago. In fact, people are pretty much the same since they were born. Then throughout our life, we learn from our life experience, moments in life and other external knowledge.

"We are the sum of all the moments of our lives" said Jesse in the beginning of the movie. It's quite true. The moments we experience in our lifetime defines who we are, what we believe and why we do certain things in certain ways. That's why I really think that every human being is so complex that it's really hard to put one person in "ONE" category.

Celine in Before Sunrise said "if there is any kind of magic in this world, it must be in an attempt of understanding someone and sharing something." Both movies are of course about how life could be almost empty and meaningless without this one person you are truly connected with and in love with. And also it portrays how it's amazing to be with that one person even if it is 'one night' or 'one afternoon'. That 'one' true love matter, I'm not really comfortable believing it. Like most people, I do want to believe in 'true love' but I do not want to believe in life being miserable without ''ONE" person.

 People are normally very friendly when they are traveling. They want to talk to you and, most of the time, they have no shield because they believe that they are not gonna see you again. I think if people are honest and 100% in the moment in an amazing place, they can truly connect. Maybe not with everyone...

I'm much of a dreamer myself but still quite cynical about love. I encountered some amazing awesome strangers while I was traveling :) I did have amazing moments with each of them. I was of course in the moment and very open to them. But, I did not fall in love with anyone. Instead, I'm just in love with life itself...


Oh and I love the song "Come here" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment