Saturday, April 28, 2012

Stress as an Opportunity for Growth

As I'm interested in various kinds of growth, I am currently having lots of thoughts about mental/intellectual growth. Some people are mentally stronger than other people- they can handle zillions of things mentally and physically while other people are struggling just to carry on a few daily basic human routines such as eating and sleeping, assuming all these people have equal opportunities in their lives.

First step for growth is facing a challenge voluntarily or involuntarily. I remember myself being afraid of becoming a first grader after kindergarten. I thought the first grade was much more challenging when browsing the textbooks. It made me stressed for the first time in my life :). I had no choice and became the first grader. So whenever we are challenged intellectually or physically or in a position for potential danger, we become stressed.

When we find ourselves stressed, it is a sign that we are in a dangerous/challenging position that is beyond our normal comfortable zone. It is also the time that we are being tested- how strong we are and how capable we are to handle certain things. Once we have learned something new or resolved a difficult problem or passed an obstacle, we have grown to another level in that area. Therefore, whenever we become stressed, it is great for us to know that we are being challenged and it is our opportunity for further growth as a human being :)


No comments:

Post a Comment