Sunday, November 2, 2014

Power of Exercise

"

"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself." Rumi

About a month ago, I signed up 
for a half marathon.  I wanted a little bit of challenge plus a good reason to wake up early and do a regular exercise. 


Today, I finished my second week of training! I knew running/exercising 5 days a week would be pretty tough (almost impossible) since I work 10-12 hours a day ( plus 2 hours drive), and I work on Saturdays and holidays occasionally. I could only go to the gym 2 times a week the most past few months.

As I'm usually exhausted just by working, I wasn't very sure how I could add an exercise to my tight schedule and tiring days. But I decided to add it anyway thinking I would at least try. To fit an hour of exercise to my schedule, I get up 6 am to hit the gym for a run and a bit of workout. That was a bit dramatic change I had to make since I had a hard time getting up at 7:20.

I did have almost regular exercise when I lived in New York but I couldn't really tell how it affected my overall wellbeing. And I did not have a serious and demanding job like I have now so my life in NY was fun and happy no matter what.

I have read and heard about how exercise is good for you. But now, I can feel and tell the difference from my own experienceexercise has been bringing great things to my daily life. Here is what I want to share:

1. I enjoy the tranquility of a new day.
Starting the day early in the morning has been refreshing. It is the only time I get to see calmness of Yangon without heavy traffic. That tranquility gives me an extra boost to tackle my long day ahead with full energy.

2. Exercise improves mind control.
I did not have to make an effort to enjoy running when I ran by the East River in NY, because I just loved it. But here, I have to make conscious efforts to overcome the mental discomforts.

Every time I start running on the treadmill, I cannot wait to get it over with. I don't like the discomfort in the first 5 minutes of run. The first few minutes are always the hardest since my body gets suddenly interrupted with fast movements.

I've been realizing that my mental reaction to the discomfort and tiredness is much more unbearable than the real physical discomfort. The moment I start overcoming my mental reaction and start enjoying the steps, I am much more comfortable with the whole movements.

And I think I'm getting better each time with the mind control and effort.

3. I feel accomplished.
I'm sure everyone agrees to feeling positive at the end of hard workout or running session. I don't exactly know what the science is inside my body after the workout. But, mentally, I feel really really great at the end of each run or exercise.

My mood usually starts out with 'Oh I have to do this again." ...."Oh my god it's not even one third of my goal distance". I keep looking at the screen of my treadmill and counting every second and every .01 km change. ( Yeah I know I'm mental.) Then slowly, my mood gets improved with the effort I mentioned above. At the end, I feel so accomplished "Oh god, I DID IT!" It's priceless.

4. I feel positive.
It was way easier to be optimistic when living in NY. It is a place where your dreams come true; all the great energies and positivities of its people are circulating in that city.

From where I live now and what I'm learning through findings from my social research and also seeing things around, it has been challenging for me to stay positive and optimistic.

I know it might sound exaggerating but when you could overcome some small things and difficulties — even discomfort of exercise — you start feeling much more hopeful. You feel that you CAN DO it, and you can overcome challenges, just one step at a time, and accomplish many more great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment